|Lat.: N25 04’ 00”
Long.: W 77 21’ 00”
Size: 80 Sq. mls
Nassau is the political capital and the commercial hub of The Bahamas. It is located on the island of New Providence. It has grown from a quiet port with 8,000 inhabitants in 1844 to a bustling city, and is home to over half of the country’s population today.
Nassau was originally known as Charlestown. It was laid out and renamed Nassau in 1695 by Nicholas Trott, the most successful Proprietor Governor, in honour of the Prince of Orange-Nassau who became William III of England. Because of its harbour,
New Providence was singled out as the most suitable seat of government.
The three branches of government – the Executive, the Legislative and the Judiciary are all headquartered in Nassau. The Cabinet Office, where members of the Cabinet meet, is located in the Churchill Building on Bay Street. Parliament – the Senate and the House of Assembly – is located on Bay Street, opposite Rawson Square. The Supreme Court is located on Bank Lane and Parliament Street off Bay Street, just behind the Senate Building. The Court of Appeal is situated on Shirley and Charlotte Streets.
New Providence, as the main commercial hub, also is home to over 400 banks and trust companies; its hotels and port account for more than two thirds of the four million-plus tourists who visit The Bahamas annually. Other settlements on New Providence include Grants Town, Bain Town, Fox Hill, Adelaide, Yamacraw, South Beach, Coral Harbour, Lyford Cay, Paradise Island, Sea Breeze, Centreville, The Grove (South) and The Grove (West Bay), Cable Beach, Delaporte, Gambier and Love Beach.
Information courtesy of Bahamas Information Services and Department of Archives.