The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) is a government agency which operates under the authority of Cabinet Office.
We believe that:
- The goal of the Office of Disaster Preparedness is to preserve human life in times of crisis.
- Effective Disaster Management depends upon the consistent coordination and integration of the work of many agencies, organizations and individuals.
- A community that is well prepared for hazards of all kinds will survive and recover quickly from disasters.
- Excellent service must be provided to the community before, during and after a disaster or emergency.
- Flexibility and adaptability of approach must be the basis of the delivery of disaster management services.
- Staff commitment, capacity, teamwork and motivation will be the primary contributors to the organization’s success.
An organization that anticipates the potential negative impacts of disasters and emergency situations and develops effective and efficient plans, procedures and systems to minimize such impacts, by relying on sound principles of disaster management, community participation and inter-agency collaboration.
To reduce the loss of life and property within the Commonwealth of The Bahamas, by ensuring that adequate preparedness and mitigation measures, and response and recovery mechanisms are established to counteract the impact of natural, man- made and technological hazards.
Functions and Responsibilities
What We Do
Disaster Management is the overall function of this agency. We strive to efficiently and effectively administer the components of the country’s Disaster Management Programme for which we are responsible. These include:
- Mitigation planning.
- Community preparedness.
- Public information.
- Recovery coordination.
These are administered in accordance with relevant legislation, government policy and public accountability requirements.
- The General Public.
- Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Family Island Disaster Management Committees.
- Government Departments and Agencies.
- External Agencies.
We Serve You
We serve the public and private corporations and residents with our expertise in:
- Assessing your existing emergency plans.
- Planning and implementing disaster policies, including - preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery.
- Provision of training for thorough Damage and Need Assessment and Resource Management.
- Designing, implementing, and training for Disaster Management.
- Disaster research and investigation to determine what lessons can be learned and how future emergency policies can be modified.
- Facilitating training for Incident Command System (ICS) to strengthen the ability to organize disaster areas and establish Unified Command Systems.
- Provision of training for Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) operations/management.
- Development and implementation of Comprehensive Emergency Management/Safety/Business Continuity programmes.
- Development of educational programmes customized to specific hazards for the public and for employees.
Office Location and Contact Information
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Except on Public Holidays
Key Contact Persons
Name: Gayle Outten-Moncur
Position: Senior Assistant Secretary
Name: Eleanor Davis
Position: Administrative Cadet