It is a requirement of The Government of The Bahamas that all foreign charters secure a licence in order to utilise Bahamian waters. Most foreign charter applications to The Bahamas are from yachts seeking to explore our beautiful seas. To accommodate these ‘sun seekers’ the Port Department has simplified the chartering process as detailed below.
Non-Bahamian yacht owners.
- To registration for a Foreign Charter License the applicant must fill out and submit an application Form to the Port Department Office on New Providence or any of the other Port Department offices listed below.
- The applicant must provide all supporting documents and pay the appropriate Boat Registration and Inspection Fees at the time that the application is submitted.
- The Port Department evaluates the vessel to ensure that it has adequate crew and determine a limit the maximum amount of passengers that can be safely transported on boat.
- The boat MUST then be inspected by a Port Department Inspector.
- Once approval is granted by the Inspector the Foreign Charter License is issued.
- A valid insurance certificate
- Boat documentation
The Master of the boat must also supply
- Certificates of qualification (Common examples are the Coast Guard certifications)
- A valid passport
A Foreign Charter Licence is processed within one week.
There is no deadline associated with this service.
Foreign Charter Registration Fees
|Application for an Annual or Temporary Permit||$50|
|Annual Permits for:|
|Boats Under 36 Feet in Length||625|
|Boats 36 Feet or Over and Under 51 in Length||$875|
|Boats 51 Feet or Over and Under 66 in Length||$1,250|
|Boats 66 Feet or Over and Under 101 in Length||$1,875|
|Boats 101 Feet or Over and Under 151 in Length||$2,500|
|Boats 151 Feet in Length or Over||$3,750|
|Boats under 15 feet in length||
|Boats 15 feet or over and under 25 feet in length||
|Boats 25 feet or over and under 50 in length||
|Boats 50 feet or over and under 100 feet in length||
|Boats 100 feet or over in length||
For a complete list of all fees click on the Fees and Fines link.
Any of the offices listed below, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
New Providence Offices
Prince George Wharf
P.O. Box N-8175
Nassau, New Providence
Tel. (242) 322-1596 or 326-7654
Fax. (242) 322-5545
Dock Master’s Office
Nassau, New Providence
Tel. (242) 393-1064
Fax. (242) 394-1240
Grand Bahama Office
P.O. Box F 2044
Freeport, Grand Bahama
Tel. (242) 352-9163
Fax. (242) 351-4538
P.O. Box Ab 20922
Marsh Harbour, Abaco
Tel. (242) 367-0038
Fax. (242) 367-0041
Berthing Arrangements for the Period 4th - 10th October, 2019See details...