An Occupancy Certificate is required for all new construction, additions, alterations and sheds where the owner desires to occupy any building.  To certify that the building is fit for occupancy the owner must apply to the Building Controls Division for an occupancy certificate.



Before starting this process the building should be completed with all plumbing and electrical fixtures installed.  In the case of application for temporary occupancy for a residence, at least one bathroom must be completed, and an operational kitchen sink installed.  

  1. Obtain Final Inspection application form, Occupancy Process Card and Connection of New Premises forms from Buildings Control Division, Ministry of Works & Urban Development.
  2. Complete and submit, an Application for Final Inspection form, to Ministry of Works & Urban Development or local administrator. Freeport applications are submitted to the Grand Bahama Port Authority Limited.
  3. Once a request is made the Building, Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical Inspectors carry out a thorough inspection of the structure to ensure that the building has been built in accordance to the approved plans and complies with the Bahamas Building Code. In some cases, inspections by the Fire Branch of the Royal Bahamas Police Force may be required.
  4. Complete and return stamped application form for the connection of water supply from the Water and Sewerage Corporation.
  5. Return Occupancy Process Card signed by a Department of Environmental Health Inspector and the respective sections of the Ministry of Works & Urban Development.
  6. Occupancy Certificate is then prepared for issue and signed by the Buildings Control Officer.
  7. Applicant or his representative is then contacted via telephone to collect the Occupancy Certificate.
  8. The owner/contractor must show proof of identification by presentation of a valid Driver’s Licence or Passport.

Note: an application may be delayed for any or all of the following reasons:

  • The building does not meet the inspector’s approval in compliance with the minimum Code Standards, (e.g., the building is not completed; electrical or plumbing work outstanding).
  • Outstanding queries not addressed by independent contractors.
  • Changes such as the addition of a name or name change to the occupancy certificate, which does not appear on the actual building permit application.


Application Form(s) 
  1. Application for Final Inspection Form.
  2. Form for Connection of New Premises (Water and Sewerage).
  3. Occupancy Certificate Process Card.
Supporting Documents 
  • A valid I.D. Card
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Passport
Turn-around time 
An Occupancy Certificate is processed within one week following the submission of all documents. Please note that this may vary based on external agency requirements.
There are no deadlines.
Related Fee(s) 

Please see the Building Regulations Amendment 2013 to determine the associated fees.

For more information please contact 

The Buildings Control Division
Ground Floor
John F Kennedy Drive
New Providence
Tel. (242) 302-9511
Fax. (242) 302-9765
Office Hours: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm

Ministry of Works & Urban Development
Applications Counter, Planning Filing Room
Ground Floor, East Wing
John F Kennedy Drive
P.O. Box N-8156
New Providence
Tel. (242) 302-9511 Ext4300
Fax. (242) 302-9765
Office Hours: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm

Grand Bahama Port Authority
Pioneers Way & East Mail
PO Box F-42666
Grand Bahama
Tel. (242)350-9000

© 2011 The Official Website of the Government of The Bahamas.
All rights reserved.